Thursday 31 January 2013

Connected or Disconnected ?

I've experienced a conversation like the one in the picture and sadly I need to confess I've been the one on the phone in a situation like this.

Since upgrading to my Samsung Galaxy SII I have become more and more plugged in.  I'm a memories/people person and love photography so I joined Instagram. I have lived in four countries and made friends there. Facebook means that I can connect easily and share. I enjoy great conversation so SMS'ing has broadened my circle and ability to chat.  I enjoy information and encouragement so the list of blogs to read grows daily.

Homeschooling means being home on my own often and blogs have become my new 'friends'. I love the digital age all it's gadgets that are available to allow us to be connected.

But ...

I have noticed it has become more and more a central focus of my universe.  My minds constantly yearns to know.
  • I wonder if anyone has commented on my blog ? (I love chatting to you here)
  • Why hasn't she answered my sms ?
  • What's new on my blog feed ?
  • I wonder who has found a good idea on Pinterest for me to Pin ?
  • Sigh what DVD are we going to watch tonight ?
  • Forget the dishes blogging is far more interesting ;-)
  • I  can't even enjoy dinner these days without wondering what's happening in "MY" digital world. 
    Tech-drenched has become my way of life. It amazes me how the Lord touches my life,and gently reminds me of Him.

    During one of my many internet surfing sessions I read about the National Day of Unplugging over at My Tropical Home .

    I would like to share a short YouTube clip with you as it resonates with something very deep within me.


    I've thinking about just how tech connected/addicted our whole family has become I feel this would be a good personal move for me.

    In the Word
    • There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens Ecclesiastes 3:1
    • Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5:16
    • But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
    • Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23

    It's time to guard my heart and make a time for things or else all that precious time I do have will not be redeemed.

    I'm inspired to make this a way of life and a tradition in our home.  Now to actually take action. This is where The Sabbath Manifesto comes into play for me.


    What is it ?
    The Sabbath Maifesto exists to encourage people to commit to unplugging once a week for 24 hours.  They have suggested the following ten principles for observing a weekly day of rest from technology
    1. Avoid Technology.
    2. Connect with your loved ones
    3. Nurture your health
    4. Get outside
    5. Avoid commerce
    6. Light candles
    7. Drink wine
    8. Eat bread
    9. Find silence
    10. Give back
    To find out more about each of these principles and how to implement them pop on over to My Jewish Learning and follow the links in The Ten Principles box..

    When is it ?
    You choose your day of rest to be disconnected.  The word Sabbath is an ancient Hebrew word meaning to cease.

    No you do NOT need to be Jewish to committing to becoming unplugged once a week.

    Can I join others in commiting?
    Elsewhere on the www
    What about you will you join Alicia and commit to Disconnect in order to Reconnect ?

    Blessings
    Chareen

    2 comments:

    1. A while back we committed to no technology on Sunday, slip up from time to time but mostly we are good.
      I've just committed to the next step, (for me), not starting my day with technology. No computer nor phone prior to lunch, and turning off before husband is home. It hasn't been as hard as I thought:)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Erin I think that is definitely the key here to start slow and mover forward along with recognizing your addiction and need to become a little disconnected to technology and connected to people.

        Delete

    I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥