Tuesday 19 June 2012

TT - The Phantom Tollbooth

 Welcome to Tuesdays Treasures.  I started these posts as a way of sharing great books in honour of my friend in New Zealand who would arrive with the treasures she had unearthed at her weekly trip to the library!

There are so many wonderful books out there hiding on shelves so I invite you to blog about a book on your shelf, one you're reading or one you found at the library and add your post to Learning All the Time Favourite Resource Link Up



This week ...
by Norton Juster


This book is amazing !  If you love reading then this is a must for your shelf.  It is so much fun.  I enjoyed the play on words and the literal use of words. This was one of those I can't put it down I need to find out what happens next.

On the back cover: For Milo, everything's a bore. When a tollbooth mysteriously appears in his room, he drives through only because he's got nothing better to do.  But on the other side, things seem different. Milo visits the island of conclusions (you get there by jumping), learns about time from a ticking watchdog named Tock, and even embarks on a quest to rescu Rhyme and Reason! Somewhere along the way, Milo realizes something astonishing. Life is far from dull. In fact, it's exciting beyond his wildest dreams ...

 I agree with what Maurice Sendak said: " - the same excitement and sheer delight in glorious lunatic linguistic acrobatics."

Over at the Book Depository "Illustrated in black-and-white. This ingenious fantasy centers around Milo, a bored ten-year-old who comes home to find a large toy tollbooth sitting in his room. Joining forces with a watchdog named Tock, Milo drives through the tollbooth's gates and begins a memorable journey. He meets such characters as the foolish, yet lovable Humbug, the Mathemagician, and the not-so-wicked "Which," Faintly Macabre, who gives Milo the "impossible" mission of returning two princesses to the Kingdom of Wisdom"

Blessings

6 comments:

  1. This book has been on our "to-read" list for a long time...looks like I need to bump it up to the top of the list! The girls would love it:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn this is definately a must read. Can't wait to hear what your family thinks.

      Delete
  2. You're right - there are so many good books out there to read!!! It sometimes overwhelms me. :) Thanks for sharing, as I hadn't heard of this book before. And thanks for dropping by my blog. I love your blog design, btw. So creative and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bonnie. The amount of books overwhelms me to and I am grateful to others who share their thoughts on good books. I have come accross some really great books because of it.
      You are welcome. I enjoyed reading your post.
      Thanks for your insight on my blog design.

      Delete
  3. I have heard so many good things about The Phantom Tollbooth, but we haven't ever read it! I'm with Jenn, maybe I need to bump it to the top of our to-be-read list :)
    Thanks for linking up, Chareen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susan it is really worth reading. I am so glad that Sonlight introduced our family to this book.

      Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
      You're welcome

      Delete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥