For me personally the answer is fairly straight forward: YES we should if its a requirement in your country/state to do so.
The scriptures are a definite plumb line in regards to these sorts of questions.
[Submission to Governing Authorities] Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. — Romans 13:1 (NIV)
When I read this verse I see no clause exempting home schoolers from obeying the law in their country. Do you ? The thing that really baffles me is that there are christian home school leaders who are encouraging home schoolers not to register and there are christian home schoolers who choose not to. I wonder why? Especially when scripture is quite direct in stating that we need to be subject to the governing authorities....
There are christian home schoolers out there who drive the not registering your children wagon and it's main engine is fear. Remember that FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real. We are not called to live in fear .
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. - 1 John 4:18
I feel there are a few advantages to being registered here in Victoria.
- You are able to claim the school start bonus if you are on concession.
- You are able to claim the Education Tax Refund. It is illegal to claim this refund if you are not registered. Heavy fines and penalties apply to those not registered and claiming.
- You can stay informed
- You are given letters stating the requirements for your students.
- You have a voice that counts when lobbying the government that you should use.
- Australia take a look at Home Education Association.
- New Zealand take a look at Home Education Foundation.
- America take a look at Home School Legal Defence Association and choose your state.
- South Africa take a look at Association for Home Schooling, and Pestalozzi Trust and Legal Issues
- Other Countries take a look at the HSLDA International page and click on your country.
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
- Victorian Registration & Qualifications Authority
- Home Schooling Application for Registration for Home Schooling.
- Home Education Network
- Northern Territories
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
Blessings my friends