Tuesday 18 October 2011

A Mother's Basket of Books.

I was over at Creating with Wisdom a few weeks ago and came across Vicky's Book Meme and really liked the idea of listing some of my favourite books.
Some of my book shelves.
These three bookshelves hold some extra special memories for me. I love books and op shopping for them is one of my favourite things to do. One of my biggest gripes has been that bookshelves waist space and they really aren't made well enough to hold books the shelves always seem to bow under the weight.  When we moved to Australia my Dad lovingly made these three for me and I LOVE the fact that they are custom to what I wanted. 

* * * * * * * * * * * *
Book Meme

It hasn't been long since the last homeschooling meme. But if you are a book loving mother and would like to join in with another... Read on...

There is something very special about introducing someone to a favourite book. I wonder: Will she like it as much as I do? Will I discover we are kindred spirit book lovers?

All this talk of books made me think: What would I put in my basket of favourite novels?  Perhaps I might include some of the following children's and adults books:

Favourite books of my childhood
Two from Galilee The Story of Mary & Joseph- Marjorie Holmes
Christians Journey - Christopher Wright
Christiana's Journey - Christopher Wright

(I was not an avid reader till I was in my teens so don't remember that many books. )

Favourite books I have enjoyed reading aloud to my children
Doctor Doolittle - Hugh Lofting
Mountain Born -Elizabeth Yates
The Wheel on the School - Meindert de Jong
Strawberry Girl - Lois Lenski
Charlottes Webb - E.B. White
The Witch of Blackbird Pond - Elizabeth George Speare
Target Earth - Christopher Wright
Christians Journey - Christopher Wright
Christiana's Journey - Christopher Wright
The Cat of Bubastes - G.A. Henty
The House of Sixty Fathers - Meindert de Jong
Kildee House - Rutherford George Montgomery
A Basket of Flowers - Christoph von Schmid
The Phantom Tollbooth - Jules Feiffer
Black Horses for the King - Anne McCaffrey
The Bronze Bow - Elizabeth George Speare
Katie and the Mona Lisa  - James Mayhew
Carry on Mr Bowditch - Jean Lee Latham

Books I am reading aloud at the moment
A hive of busy Bees

Favourite Teaching  books **
The Hope Chest a legacy of love - Rebekah Wilson
Charlotte Mason Companion - Karen Andreola
Things We Wish We'd Known - Compiled by Bill and Diana Waring
Beyond Survival -  Diana Warring
Reaping the Harvest - Diana Warring
Raising a Modern Day Knight -
Honey for a Child's Heart - Gladys Hunt
What the Bible says about Healthy Living - Rex Russel
Passion and Purity - Elizabeth Elliot
Disappointment with God - Philip yancey
Where is God when it hurts ? - Philip Yancey
Silent Grief - Hinton
Power of a Praying Parent - Stormie O'Martin
Power of a Praying Wife - Stormie O'Martin
Captivating - John and Staci Eldridge
A Full Quiver - Rick and Jan Hess 
The Five Love Languages - Gary Chapman
The Five Languages of Appology - Gary Chapman
Personality Plus - Florence Littaeur
Silver Boxes - Florence Littaeur
Prayer of Jabez -
A Life God Rewards - Bruce Wilkinson
Educating the WholeHearted Child - Clay and Sally Clarkson
Hairy Maclary - Lynley Dodd and any books by her.


Favourite True Stories **
I Dared to call Him Father - Sheikh
Ten Fingers for God the life and work of Dr Paul Brand - 
Alias Jungle Doctor
Jungle Calls - Ron Snell
Life is a Jungle- Ron Snell
There's a Jungle out there - Ron Snell
Life in spite of me - Kristen Jane Anderson

Favourite novels I’ve read
A voice in the Wind - Francine Rivers
An Echo in the Darkness - Francine Rivers
As sure as the Dawn - Francine Rivers
The Scarlet Thread - Francine Rivers
Moses - Ellen Gunderson Traylor
Joshua - Ellen Gunderson Traylor
This Present Darkness - Frank Peretti
Piercing the Darkness - Frank Peretti
The Left Behind Serries - Tim LaHaye and Jeffrey Jenkins

Authors I enjoy **
Wilbur Smith
Jeffrey Archer
Bryce Courtney
John Grisham
Clive Cussler
Francine Rivers
Ellen Gunderson Traylor

Novels I have recently enjoyed
False Impression - Jeffrey Archer
Cain and Able - Jeffrey Archer
Not a Penny more Not a penny less - Jeffrey Archer


Novels I am currently reading

No novels at present but I am reading:
GIFTS from the Hearth by Elizabeth R. Skoglund
For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaefer-McCauley
The Ministry of Motherhood - Sally Clarkson

(Although I enjoyed all these books and another mother might too, some of the books on my list are not suitable for children.)

There are so many other books I could include on my lists. This is only a sample. I wonder if you will find some of your old favourites here. Perhaps you will find something new you’d like to read.

Or perhaps you’d like to write your own lists and I will come and visit and share. Perhaps we will discover we are kindred spirits book lovers.

I hope the following people will share their favourite books.

Alecat from Serenades and Solace
Chelle from Last in Line
Erin from Seven Little Australians.  Found she has done hers already : My Book Love
Michelle from Homeschooling Downunder
And anyone else who'd like to share, please post your link in the comments section so I can come over and be inspired.

In Anticipation of reading more book Meme's
Blessings

P.S. I have added a few extra questions in as it better suited my list and made for easier listing. I have marked them with **

To make it easier to post your Meme here are the questions:

Book Meme
It hasn't been long since the last homeschooling meme. But if you are a book loving mother and would like to join in with another... Read on...

There is something very special about introducing someone to a favourite book. I wonder: Will she like it as much as I do? Will I discover we are kindred spirit book lovers?

All this talk of books made me think: What would I put in my basket of favourite novels?  Perhaps I might include some of the following children's and adults books:

Favourite books of my childhood
Favourite books I have enjoyed reading
Favourite books I have enjoyed reading aloud to my children
Books I am reading aloud at the moment
Favourite Teaching  books **
Favourite True Stories **
Favourite novels I’ve read
Authors I enjoy **
Novels I have recently enjoyed
Novels I am currently reading

(Although I enjoyed all these books and another mother might too, some of the books on my list are not suitable for children.)

There are so many other books I could include on my lists. This is only a sample. I wonder if you will find some of your old favourites here. Perhaps you will find something new you’d like to read.

Or perhaps you’d like to write your own lists and I will come and visit and share. Perhaps we will discover we are kindred spirits book lovers.

I hope the following people will share their favourite books

7 comments:

  1. Yes, books and more books! I can't find Chareen; she is supposed to be studying! There she is lying on her bed with her school book looking very sheepish and there covered by her school book is another book she is engrossed in. beautiful memories of her in her teens. And now today she is surrounded in her precious books encouraging others to come into her world using her knowledge of her ever growing wisdom in her Christian walk with the Lord and children education. May you continue to be the blessing you are to those in need, for the Lord loves a cheerful giver and encourager. Do not become weary of well doing for in due season you will reap the harvest that Lord has in store for you.
    Blessings and love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shouldn't be a great surprise, although it was, but we like so many of the same books!

    I enjoyed reading your fave books today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your words of encouragement Mom. :) They touched the right spot today. I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan

    Thank you so much :) I felt the same way the other day when I looked at your post Recommended reading for Home School Moms :) Blessings

    PS Would love you to do a book Meme too and link it back here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow, I knew a lot of your favourites would be new to me, Chareen. So many new books to discover and enjoy - thank you!!

    And, thank you for taking the time to find the links. It's really kind and generous of you to be so helpful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice meme .... and as the sign of a true book hoarder I tipped my head side ways trying to read some of the spines of the books on your LOVELY!!!!! book shelves.

    We do like many of the same books ☺

    Thanks for the invite....I'll enjoy having a go at this meme once the busy part of our week/month is over.

    (Keep posting Chareen, I don't always reply ... but I do appreciate reading your posts via google reader)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥